Thought of the Week: Leading Change
I am feeling inspired as I write this as my week was filled with learning and conversations about growth- George Couros, PLCs at NAPS and RRPS that demonstrated how very far we have come in collaboration, risk taking, and evidence based learning, a reflective meeting with the Pathway 2 Aspiring Leaders led by Shelley, and a couple of great Growing Leaders Podcasts while driving that spoke to me about really knowing our students of today. It culminated with learning to share my thinking through Storify. In summary, the week of learning can be represented by the thinking contained in the following graphic:
Was your week filled with SCHOOL or with LEARNING?
Health and Safety Reminders: Joint Health and Safety Committee:
Powers of committee
- (18) It is the function of a committee and it has power to,
- (a) identify situations that may be a source of danger or hazard to workers;
- (b) make recommendations to the constructor or employer and the workers for the improvement of the health and safety of workers;
- (c) recommend to the constructor or employer and the workers the establishment, maintenance and monitoring of programs, measures and procedures respecting the health or safety of workers;
- (d) obtain information from the constructor or employer respecting,
- (i) the identification of potential or existing hazards of materials, processes or equipment, and
- (ii) health and safety experience and work practices and standards in similar or other industries of which the constructor or employer has knowledge;
- (e) obtain information from the constructor or employer concerning the conducting or taking of tests of any equipment, machine, device, article, thing, material or biological, chemical or physical agent in or about a workplace for the purpose of occupational health and safety; and
- (f) be consulted about, and have a designated member representing workers be present at the beginning of, testing referred to in clause (e) conducted in or about the workplace if the designated member believes his or her presence is required to ensure that valid testing procedures are used or to ensure that the test results are valid. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 9 (18).
Dr. Jean Clinton Event Teleconference – a reminder that this teleconference is taking place on Tuesday, April 5 at 7:00. The more community partners that you can encourage to take part, the less work!
Before and After School Care Survey – thanks to Chris and Debbie (and their secretaries) for inputting this information from the survey. Please note that this is a Ministry requirement and thus, I am requiring this data to move forward. Please see my email to you and to your secretaries and add the summary of your survey information to the following link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CO22uxiocmkjd1W6WgtSNaBSwMkOTYDxgow5FbmYg68/edit?usp=sharing
Carried Over from Last Week
Everybody Matters Week April 11-15 (Neurodiversity Day is April 15) – our 2016 theme is WE BELONG! More to come from George, however there will be a week long Activity BINGO for schools to engage in during is week. Remember, Neurodiversity day culminates that week on Friday, April 15.
Education Week – May 2-6 is Education Week and the theme this year is “Achieving Excellence: Promoting Well-Being”. What are your school plans? Remember that Dave appreciates being sent the plans ahead of time so that he can speak to them on the radio. Also, remember to take photos for the Director’s Newsletter!
Mon – out of the district
Tues – Terrace Bay PLC, 7:00 Dr. Jean Clinton Teleconference
Wed – Labour Management, Senior Admin Meetings
Thurs – NOEL Meeting all day
Fri – Budget Meeting at 9:00, SEF Teleconference at 10:00, Principal Policy Meeting from 2:00-3:00
April 4 – Leads’ Meeting
April 5 – Meeting for Regional Planning Teams regarding Dr. Jean Clinton event (7:00)
April 5 – Board Policy Review Meeting at 7:00 pm
April 6 – Labour Management Meeting (please send items to Annick)
April 8 – Principal Policy Meeting (2:00-3:00) confirm attendance by April 4
April 10-15 -Everybody Matters Week Celebration
April 10- NTIP Steering Committee Meeting (9:00-10:30)
April 15 – Neurodiversity Day Celebration
April 16 and 17 – GAFE Summit for those involved
April 18 – PD Day Agendas due to your VLE/Google site
April 18 – Board Meeting
April 19 – Director’s Update
April 20 – EY Book Study 12:30-3:00
April 21 – A Celebration of Our Children Photos due to Dean Burke by today.
April 21 – Office 365 Training Session (location TBD)
April 22 – PD Day and Earth Day
April 27 – Primary Math PLC
April 27 – Administrative Professionals’ Day
April 28 – Junior Math PLC
April 29 – Elementary Principal Meeting at GOPS 9:00-3:30
May 2-5 – Education Week – “Achieving Excellence: Promoting Well-Being”
May 5 – Staff Appreciation Day
May 16 – NTIP Steering Committee Meeting (9:00-10:30)
May 20 – All Inquiry/PLC release days completed
June 10 – all Teacher Performance Appraisals are complete and signed off on (and sent to the Board Office).
June 15 – Fair Start Completed
June 21 – National Aboriginal Day
June 28 – School Learning Plan Evaluations Due to NMC (with school team input!!)
Learning Fair Celebration Dates – The Elementary Learning Celebration Fair will take place on Friday, May 27, 2016 at GOPS.